The Kyle Fire Department was formed, soon after the town of Kyle itself, in 1880. The membership of the department was divided up into three companies, a Hook and Ladder Company, a Bucket Brigade Company, and a Hose Company.
Around the same time, an annual tradition of sponsoring a picnic on San Jacinto Day, April 21st, was established. The department crowned it’s Queen on this day with the first Queen being Mrs. Mamie Word. And while we no longer crown a Queen we treat all of our customers like Royalty.
In 1913, the city council purchased a fire engine and a large wheeled, hand towed, chemical type extinguisher, which the department still owns.
The next year, 1914, city council limited the number of members of the department to 22 but as a benefit of dedicated membership, the Volunteers were exempted from building and/or repairing the cities streets.
In April of 1934 an overnight fire destroyed half of a downtown city block and killed a night watchman. As a result of this disastrous and deadly fire, the department was reorganized, new equipment was purchased, and new members were recruited and trained.
In 1952, a GMC pumper was purchased and placed into service with the department. After serving many years as a frontline piece of apparatus, this engine is now proudly used as a parade piece with the department and is affectionately called “Old 20.”
In 2006 a new chapter in the history of Kyle Fire Department began when the first full time, paid firefighter came on duty to help supplement the volunteers during daytime hours.
Today, the Kyle Fire Department is a strong combination department made up of 21 paid employees, who work on a 3 shift – 24/48 schedule and a strong volunteer force.
We respond to emergencies with a fleet of 3 Engines, 3 Brush trucks, 1 Tender, 3 Command vehicles, and 1 Squad truck.
As always, the Kyle Fire Department prides itself in being able to provide the highest quality emergency services, with state of the art equipment, to an ever growing population.